Labels


The Comment on Cell Phone 8:51 PM

When talking about the HCI, I have to complain something about the cell phone. Actually, I always consider that the menu in the cell phone is so hard to use. I don't know how people feel about it, but I get confused when I open the it.

I have changed 3 or 4 cell phone so far, and I had a hard time with every time it asked me to set up something. I could just follow the instruction, but I had to think carefully while it takes much time to find out where the option is. To be used to a new cell phone needs a lot of time. Not only me, my grandmother, who doesn't know how to use machine well, got more confused with it. For example, she often asked me: "How to change volume?" I think I was not allowed to tell her "read the instruction yourself." She couldn't realize it by this way, and so did I. I could find out the answer by searching the menu carefully and solve the problem. However, I couldn't tell her how to manipulate it with a short sentence. She had to write down the memo, and asked me again when she lost it or forgot how to control. And I don't hope she will ask me how to edit the ring one day. To tell the truth, I think this kind of important device which everyone can use should not be so complex. At least, it has to let elder also know how to use.

Maybe someone would say, "The elders will know it in the future," "Cell phone is not so hard to use." In fact, when one uses others computer, he won't have any problem with it. However, if one gets others cell phone, "How to use" must be the first thought in mind. Cell phone doesn't has regular design except the 10 digit buttons. Besides, there is a problem that makes cell phone so complex, there are too many functions. I wonder that people will use how many functions of it. For me , changing ring and setting alert are enough. Other people will send message, take pictures, or play the game, but I haven't seen anyone edits music, listens to radio, or takes note with it. (at least in Taiwan)

When there are so many functions, I found that the smaller the screen is, the harder it can be used. That is because if there is not enough space to show the items, it will be less convenient when searching the functions. Thus, the design of the menu is important. However, there is not a good designed menu for me yet. This is the problem of "Mapping." In my opinion, the category of the menu shouldn't be organized only by the classification. At least, the volume or ring which is frequently used should be put on the top or be seen easily. In the other hand, this is a problem of conceptual model, too. They don't have to put everything in cell phone. I think most people rather use PDA than cell phone for their work. If it is really needed to add so many functions, setting hot key is important. It could be easier to use when user can set a custom menu.

The cell phone is prevailed today, so the HCI design of it is essential. Does cell phone need to be for all purpose? This is a question.